Private Motor Insurance
Car insurance is compulsory. It is a criminal offence to drive without motor insurance.
There are three types of motor insurance.
· Third party only cover
This is the minimum legal requirement and pays out for claims that other people make against you for damage or injury caused by your driving.
· Third-party, fire and theft cover
In addition to third-party cover, you can claim for loss or damage to your own car as a result of fire or theft
· Comprehensive cover
This gives you third-party fire and theft cover but also allows you to claim for damage to your own car. A number of additional benefits may also be provided :
· Windscreen and glass cover
· Cover for damaged or stolen personal belongings – this usually applies to items stolen from a locked boot or glove compartment.
· Recovery service and emergency breakdown assistance
· Replacement or hire car – the cost of this is covered if your own car is off the road as a result of an accident
· Replacement lock cover, fire brigade charges
· No-claims discount protection
· Driver personal accident cover