Van Insurance



If you drive a motor vehicle, private or commercial, by law you must have motor insurance. It is a criminal offence to drive without motor insurance. If caught you may have to pay fines, get penalty points and be disqualified from driving.

The range of cover available for commercial vehicles is broadly the same as for private motors and motorcycles. You will need a commercial insurance policy If you own a vehicle that was designed for commercial use and you use is mainly for work purposes.

Commercial insurance policies will also cover you for personal use

There are three types of motor insurance. Depending on your circumstances and on the age and value of your car, you need to consider what insurance suits you best.

Third party only

This is the minimum legal requirement and pays out for claims that other people make against you for damage or injury caused by your driving. With this type of cover, you cannot make a claim for damage to your own car, theft of your car, or loss or damage to any item in your car under your own third-party insurance.

Third party fire and theft

In addition to third-party cover, you can claim for loss or damage to your own car as a result of fire or theft, but not accidental damage to your vehicle. This type of cover costs more than a basic third- party cover.


This gives you third-party fire and theft cover but also allows you to claim for damage to your own car, no matter who is to blame. The benefits of comprehensive policies vary between insurers, so you should check your policy for details.



Most insurers now cover the towing of trailers under the third party liability section of the policy.

It is now standard practice to include third party cover for trailers whilst attached to the insured vehicle. Some policies provide comprehensive cover for them whilst they are still attached.